If you're traveling with a family along I-40, you may find yourself wanting (or needing!) to stop for a picnic, take a short break from driving, or just to let the kids stretch their legs. To help, we've identified 17 of the best parks along Interstate 40 between Little Rock and Albuquerque. Your road trips will never be the same!
From east to west, here's our list of the Top 17 Parks Along I-40 (Little Rock to Oklahoma CIty to Amarillo to Albuquerque):
- Burns Park in North Little Rock has a mini amusement park with a carousel, walking paths, picnic tables, and more! Immediately north of the freeway off Military Drive.
- In Conway, Arkansas, Fifth Avenue Park has picnic shelters, sports fields, and a playground. Exit on Oak Street (Highway 64) and head south on 4th Avenue.
- Morrilton City Park offers tennis courts, picnic shelters, a playground, and more.
- Veterans Park in Russellville, Arkansas boasts picnic tables, play equipment, a basketball court, and a large grassy field.
- In Ozark, East Side Park has a lake, picnic table, tennis courts, and a playground. South of I-40 off the 3rd Street (Highway 219) exit.
- Lake Lou Emma Park in Van Buren, Arkansas boasts a fishing lake and picnic tables. Immediately north of the freeway off Fayetteville Road (Highway 59).
- Sallisaw Park in Sallisaw, Oklahoma has picnic tables, walking paths, a lake, and a playground.
- Okemah Park boasts picnic shelters, a playground, and a basketball court.
- Midwest City's Charles Johnson Central Park has picnic tables, walking paths, a lake, and a playground. Located immediately north of I-40 off Air Depot Blvd.
- Douglass Park in Oklahoma City offers a splashpad, playground, picnic tables, swimming pool, sports fields, and a lake.
- El Reno Legion Park boasts picnic tables, a lake with a walking path, sports fields, and a playground. North of the freeway off the Country Club Road exit.
- Ackley Park in Elk City, Oklahoma has picnic shelters, a playground, a lake with a walking path, and sports fields.
- Benton Park in Amarillo, Texas offers a splashpad, a playground, picnic tables, drinking fountains, restrooms, and a horseshoe pit. Located just north of the freeway, off the Grand Street exit.
- Vega Park features picnic tables, a paved walking path, tennis courts, and a playground.
- In Tucumcari, New Mexico, Dunn Park offers picnic tables, a playground, and open fields.
- Lake Park in Santa Rosa, New Mexico has a lake, picnic shelters, a playground, and a baseball diamond.
- In Albuquerque, Los Altos Park has been called "one of the best city parks around," and it boasts a dog park, picnic tables, walking path, a playground, and sports fields. Immediately north of I-40 off the Eubank Boulevard exit.